Reverse Mortgage Loan Counseling
HUD requires every prospective reverse mortgage loan borrower to complete a reverse mortgage counseling session. Below is a short list of counseling agencies. For a more extensive list with counselors near you, please contact us.
|Updated: August, 25 2011||Next Appointment||Price||Phone||Online|
|Online Counseling with CredAbility||24 hours||$125||1-866-616-3716||Visit Website|
|Springboard Nonprofit||1-2 Weeks||Free||1-800-431-8456||Visit Website|
|Consumer Credit Counseling Service||2 Weeks||Free||1-877-715-2227||Visit Website|
|Money Management International||1 – 2 Weeks||Free||1-877-908-2227||Visit Website|
|National Council on Aging||5 – 7 days||Free*||1-800-510-0301||Visit Website|
|Smart Money Housing||24 hours||$125||1-800-403-3807||Visit Website|
Understand Reverse Mortgage Loan Counseling, Be Prepared:
HUD released a new counseling protocol that became effective in September, 2010. This new protocol made it required that borrowers
be provided certain documentation 24-48 hours in advance of their counseling session. The items will be provided by the counselor, however,
the lender can provide them as well.
The required documents are:
- Loan Comparison – The reverse mortgage loan calculator results provide a side by side comparison of available reverse mortgage loan products. It summarizes the estimates of available proceeds, fees, rates and margins.
- Total Annual Loan Cost Disclosure – The total cost of any reverse mortgage loan depends on how long you keep the loan and how much your house appreciates in value. Generally, the longer you keep a reverse mortgage loan, the lower the total annual loan cost rate will be. The total annual cost rates are based on the total charges associated with this loan. These charges typically include principal, interest, closing costs, mortgage insurance premiums, annuity costs and servicing costs (but not disposition costs–costs when you sell the home).
- Amortization Schedule– The amortization schedule shows a year by year comparison of your loan. It will summarize the interest rate accrual, MIP accrual, available line of credit as well as estimated remaining equity for the estate. It’s important to remember that it is an estimate and actual numbers will vary based on the loan program chosen.
- The NCOA’s booklet, Use Your Home to Stay at Home
- HUD’s Preparing for Your Counseling Session
Counselors are now required to:
- Review the client’s level of understanding
- Discuss the client’s needs
- Review the features and costs of reverse mortgage loans
- Examine the borrower’s obligations in a reverse mortgage loan and alternatives to reverse mortgage loans
- Provide the client with information regarding purchasing annuities with reverse mortgage loan proceeds
- Review the client’s level of understanding of the information covered in the counseling session
What are your next steps after reverse mortgage loan counseling?
After counseling is complete, you will receive a counseling certificate signed by the counselor. You should sign the certificate and return it to your lender. The lender is not allowed to do any work for you that would incur a fee prior to receiving the signed counseling certificate.
*National Counsel on Aging (NCOA) has a fee that ranges from $0 – $125. When borrowers call in, they will determine the fee based on income.